Facing The Heat Once Again
July 29, 2020 Posted by Y2 Yoga Blog
Now that we’ve officially opened our doors once again, we’re all extremely anxious and excited to get back into our favorite heated room and sweat it out (safely, with a mask and social distancing) with our favorite yogis and teachers. However, don’t forget that it’s been about 5 months since you’ve stepped into our heated studio, and taken our signature style flow (aside from our live and on-demand classes).
Admit it, no matter how many heaters you plug in at home, nothing beats the Y2 heat. Trust us when we say our heat and humidity duo is like none other, and when you walk out of class soaked in sweat, you’ll never feel more alive.
Readjusting – there is a right way to do this.
We do require that masks are worn throughout the studio, and during class. So, be sure to check out our blog post on the benefits of wearing a mask during yoga, and our beloved Y2 teacher, Katie’s interview with Novant Health on how to get used to wearing a mask during exercise!
Getting used to wearing a mask during class is one thing, but don’t forget about the real struggle – your return to the heat.
Go easy on yourself, and understand that it has truly been a while since you tackled our Single and Double Shots every single day in our Studio 1 room. Here are 5 tips to help you come out of class sweaty, and successful:
- Go slow, take it easy. The first month back in that heat, and with a mask on is going to be challenging, and might feel bit overwhelming. We know the teacher is calling out poses left and right, but go your own pace, skip postures if need be, and always rely on your friend child’s pose.
- Focus on your breathing. This is a staple in all yoga practices. Why? Because it works! Inhale every time you expand your body, and exhale every time you contract your body. Breathing deeply, and correctly can help strengthen your immune system, make your workouts much easier, and help you improve your fitness skills!
- Cut it in half. Maybe a 60 minute heated class is a bit too much in the beginning. There’s always the option to take the first 30 minutes of class, and call it a day! You can leave the studio, or stay there and stretch the rest of class. Y2 is built on non-judgement and freedom. Do what YOU want on YOUR mat. This is your practice, we respect that. #DoYou
- Adjust your mentality. Mind over matter We’re sure you’ve heard that one before. Your thoughts and expectations have a huge effect on how you perform on your mat, and in life. Go in with ZERO expectations and tell yourself over and over again that you are okay. Keep calm and know you are just fine, and child’s pose is always there for you.
- Get excited. You are finally able to get your euphoric, heart-throbbing, sweat-dripping, a**-kicking yoga practice you’ve missed dearly. In just a few weeks, you’ll be back at it and stronger than ever!