Why Men Hesitate to Practice Yoga and Why They Shouldn’t
July 22, 2019 Posted by Y2 Yoga Blog
Ahhhhh Yoga. Basically a slow type dance class that involves instrumental, peaceful music, OMing half the time, and stretching 99.9999999999999% of the time. Right??
WRONG … (especially at Y2)
We guarantee over half the men in this world believe that is all yoga is. And they truly believe that yoga will not make them stronger, or more healthy and in shape.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won’t come in.” –
Now, we understand and know that there are many weird yoga studios in this world. AND… many different weird types of yoga. However, assuming all yoga sucks, and won’t benefit you… is being small minded – and crazy. It’s overused because it doesn’t seem to sink in, but:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein
There are a few reasons (down below) why men hesitate to begin their yoga practice, and we are here to tell them all leave their egos at the door and find child’s pose.
- Yoga is just for women. Ummmm, last time we checked guys still needed mobility. We’ve seen NFL Line Backers that can push a 500lbs sled 100 yards say that our classes rank up there with the hardest things they have ever done. So, bring that macho testosterone with you to your mat and we’ll replace it with a little thing called “humility”! PLUS – back when Yoga first started, men were the only ones considered able and suitable to practice.
- Yoga isn’t really exercise, it’s just stretching. It is absolutely not just stretching. We can’t speak for all yoga, and all yoga studios, but – here at Y2, our classes are formatted a special way. We have a secret formula and a special sauce. We serve only one dish at Y2: ass kickings (LSD aside). Classes are specially formatted in a way that incorporates High Intensity Interval Training (or H.I.I.T). Your heart rate will go UP high, and then it will come down a little before it rockets skyward again. If taking a class at Y2 is the only hour you have to spare in your day, then you will leave feeling like you got your fix and can conquer your day like the boss you are!
- I’m not flexible enough. Eventually the technology will exist where we can extend a hand out of the computer screen to directly b!tch slap idiots that utter this kind of nonsense! Saying that you are not flexible to do yoga is like saying you are to hungry to eat! #stopbeingajackass
- The inner-peace stuff isn’t my thing. WTF does that even mean? What are you looking for: inner-chaos? There is no judgement if you are content being the @sshole that you are (okay, maybe a little). We understand you don’t want to sit in lotus, hold out a flower and thank the universe for the beautiful gift of human connection and nature, however, inner-peace is much more than bathing in flowers and floating like a fairy. Yoga can help reduce stress, anxiety and lower blood pressure. Read more. #stopbeingatool
- I won’t fit in. How do you know, have you ever taken a class? Every studio is different and has a different vibe and if Y2 isn’t the right fit for you then keep exploring. There are many different styles of yoga, like there are flavors of ice cream, so find yours. If you are truly afraid of that, you can always book a private lesson with one of our instructors, take an online class in the comfort of your own home, OR… just grow a pair and come try out a class. Are you afraid an army of women sporting spandex are going to single you out for wearing a 100% Cotton-blend shirt and then shout at you for not being able to touch your toes? Get it together boys, because MEN practice yoga!
“I started my yoga practice initially to help resolve my low back problems and improve my flexibility, I then continued my practice to improve my physical and mental well-being. My a** was being kicked and my mental health was improving. So, why not keep coming back?” Chris Han – Y2 Student
“My wife talked me into going one day, and now, I can’t stay away. I’ve been practicing for years.” Chris Kenefick – Y2 Student
“I started practicing yoga because someone close to my heart always suggested that I try it with them. I kept going every time they asked me to join and eventually it put me on a path I’ve always wanted to be on.” Chase Hayes – Y2 Student & Teacher Trainee